Tuesday, May 8, 2012


CONTINUED EXPLORATION




Trees were created by dripping and draining ink off the canvas at an angle. It seems to create these unique textured and organic lines resembling trees. This was my first attempt. i really like how the trees and textures add to the sense of death and decay in this grey forest.


my second attempt at inking. I feel the stronger of the two. I used a falt piece of wood this time instead of canvas, becasue scraping and dribbling was tougher when the canvas dipped. I began by painting a moon with spray paint in the back ground. ink was then scraped over the surface reducing defintion and creating a hazey mist. i think used ink drips to suggest vines/ trees and splurts of vibrant spray paint to suggest shrubs. i think this painitng has a mystic enchanted feel to it as light breaks through the purple trees. if looking closely a figure is seen in the shadows.



i read a story in my book of folk tales. it about a blue ox who made the sky and earth i sketched out what i htought it would look like. i really loved how the tree tops mimiked its fur and clouds added its body shape. 



Bought some water colour tube paints. kind of inbetween blocks and acrylics. i liked the density and vibrance of the colours. this is where my circle fetish started. When both these images are put through instagram  the poppies properly pop out and the trees seem so real.





the sea




outside my bedroom window, using the tube paints again you can get the sense of the sunny weather through the bright greens and blues. This one one of my first studies in the project. It helped me to understand how i could integrate my illustration with water colours. i like the pen and colours to create texture in the trees and foliage however the thick layering of the grass gives no texture. 

more fun dripping ink



Roots.







HOUSES:

i liek the lines and textures of houses and the fact that they are never the same. i also really like the shadows in the windows and the use of graduated colours to create texture and depth.


one of my first commissions






PICKING MY FINAL IMAGES


picking the images for my final display has been hard as i have accumulated many during the project. Some lack the professional finish/ composition of others; but that is not to say they haven't been helpful for learning techniques and in the long run improving the professionalism in later paintings.


i have chosen my final images because i feel they truly show my journey throughout this project and in nature. 
The mixture of intense line work and expressive colours make for mystical, beautiful landscapes.  Instead of sticking to my old imaginary ways i have found and used real environments as inspiration.  i like to find spots that are enclosed from man and/or are capturing back their lost land. I want to express to others the importance of nature to man and to stop and realise what our greed is doing to our planet. i want to portray natures  psychological and physical connection with humans and help others discover its beauty.






EXTENDED MAJOR PROJECT PRESENTATION


For the Extended major project hand in, i will be displaying my final pieces on card inside a display box. The reason being that the display BOOKS you can buy would be too restrictive for the size and orientation of my paintings as i have a mixture of both landscapes, portraits and circles. A box means that paintings must be removed first therefore giving the viewer the freedom to move it around. It also makes each image special and you go through my journey as you take each one out. i have gone for a portfolio plus, deep black display box to accommodate for some of my thicker paintings


i also ordered thick black card to mount my pictures on but they have not arrived yet, so i have used thin black paper. it looks better than nothing but ill have thick card for the gallery



538969


PRESENTATION OF FINAL PIECES - free range gallery


when thinking about the presentation of my paintings i want the display to be personal to me and enjoyable for everyone. i don't want to display just a few neatly on the wall in modern frames. i want to make the wall look like my bedroom; as if i had stuck them all to my wall to see my journey. i love a good charity shop picture frame and i think that they would be the perfect way to display my paintings. they bring a kind of warm homely feeling to the paintings and give the impression that the paintings stand the test of time. The displaying of the paintings would represent the chaoticness of my working methods and creativity. as well as show a general time line of my exploration.


As well as hanging and displaying my images i would also like to make a seperate book/ or portfolio box for the table in front. i want people to be able to see my journey of exploration. i would liek the book to correspond with the images on the wall, showing sketched made a long the way and telling stories of funny events. i want the audience to feel as though the drawings are precious and all indivdually unique.




TIME MANAGEMENT



This project has allowed me to develop several paintings and sketches at the same time, meaning I didn’t become bored, complacent or stressed about the outcomes. I feel that this relaxed attitude has allowed me to truly explore myself and landscape. With my continued interest in my project i have been more than happy to analyse and contextualise my work throughout, whether its been in my blog, skechbooks or Professional practice. This has meant i have felt relatively unstressed about the impending deadline. i hope that i will keep this mentality in projects to come.




CONCLUSION


During my project i have grown inseparable from my water colours; My skills have improved because of my continued exploration and creation. One of the main influences during this section of my project was a variety of artist on the painting and drawing channel (propeller TV). There unique uses of watercolours and compositional advice has been invaluable. They force me to better my own skills and practice more.
 http://www.thepaintinganddrawingchannel.co.uk/about.html




In this project i have changed my view on my own interpretation of the land. Before i would explore without sketching or paintings what i saw. Instead i would use photos and memories at home to create msytical/ imaginary locations. However i have learnt that the wilderness offers countless beautfil/ picturesque landscapes, you just have to look for them. This project hasn't jsut been an exploration of landscape but an exploration of myself and my skills. i can see now that sketching and painting outdoors has seriously improves my understanding of trees, grasses, plants and animals. Meaning i am more comfortable when documenting the places i find.This has been my favourite project of all and i feel i have learnt so much.




No comments:

Post a Comment